Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Nearer to Thee

I realized a long time ago that music is a very influential thing in my life. I'm not incredibly musically inclined, however just like many of you, music tends to get stuck in my head very easily. It's not like I listened to music labeled "parental advisory" or "explicit," but after a lesson in seminary I started to pay closer attention to the words. I was surprised at how suggestive some of the lyrics got, and made a goal to listen to better music. This is something I've never regretted.

This last Sunday as I was heading back to Cedar I was listening to "Soft Sunday Sounds" on FM100, which is the classiest station out there. While I was driving, the song "I Will Rest in You" by Mindy Gledhill came on. I realized how much I loved that song, and then thought about my other religious favorites. I think my top three (non-hymn) favorites are, "Beautiful to Him," by Rachael Thibodeau "I Am," by Nichole Nordeman and "I Will Rest in You" by Mindy Gledhill, as I mentioned before. All three of these have strengthened my relationship with and faith in the Savior so much. I know He loves me, and I love Him. The power of good music is so evident in my life, and I'm so grateful for it.

Here are a few really good quotes from lds.org under music.

"Music is given of God to further his purposes. Sweet melodies mellow the souls of men and help prepare them for the gospel. After men receive the truth, songs of praise to Deity help to sanctify and cleanse their souls." -- Elder Bruce R. McConkie, Mormon Doctrine (1966), 521

"We get nearer to the Lord through music than perhaps through any other thing except prayer." -- President J. Reuben Clark Jr., in Conference Report, Oct. 1936, 111

"Music is truly the universal language, and when it is excellently expressed how deeply it moves our souls." -- President David O. McKay, in Conference Report, Apr. 1945, 119

"The most effective preaching of the gospel is when it is accompanied by beautiful, appropriate music." -- President Harold B. Lee, in Conference Report, Apr. 1973, 181

So here's a shout-out to all of the musicians in the world who provide uplifting music and help make the world more pleasant. Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment